Here are 15 questions to ask your future board of directors
A participant in CUES Net™, the CUES members-only listserv, asked what questions a candidate for the CEO position at an outside CU should ask of the interviewing board. Below are the 15 suggestions that were given in response. What questions would you add to the list? Please post them in the comments.
- What does the board see as its role in the relationship with the CEO and credit union?
- How do you view the CEO's authority as related to the board's authority?
- Will there be a contract?
- What is your vision for the CEO position?
- What are your top three objectives for the next year?
- What are the critical success factors for a credit union in light of the current challenges facing the industry?
- What is your board’s greatest achievement in the last three years that made a difference for the members?
- Have the board and the credit union ever had to champion an unpopular change? How was it handled?
- What is the history of your credit union’s board?
- What are the biggest obstacles to your credit union’s success and why?
- Why is the CEO seat open?
- Why are you interviewing candidates from outside of your credit union?
- Are there any limits to the authority of the CEO in the daily operation?
- What is your direct involvement with day-to-day operations?
- How does your CEO evaluation process work?
Lisa Hochgraf is a CUES senior editor.